Due to the ongoing uncertainty and concerns over our state’s current public health crisis, the 2021 NMACDA All-State Festival scheduled for May, 2021 has been postponed to January 27-29, 2022.
The 2022 NMACDA All-State Festival will feature a carryover of the 2021 audition selections, repertoire for each choir, and clinician conductors.
We all look forward to singing together again soon!
Good evening, NMACDA Members!
I want to thank you for your patience in these very unprecedented times. The NMACDA Executive Board has been carefully watching the developments of school re-openings, protocols and state mandates. We hope we have come up with a solution that will still allow us to host an event for the students of New Mexico that will offer an exceptional experience. Please know your work and preparation has not been in vain. This year’s audition process has been simplified and modeled off of the SWACDA Divisional Honor Choir audition submission procedures.
October 1-15, 2021 – Audition Submission Window
November 8, 2021 – Accepted singer notifications go out to sponsoring directors
December 17, 2021 – Singers confirmation and Registration Due
January 27-29, 2022 – Elementary & Youth All-State
There will be some changes to the structure of the event. We will be hosting three different Elementary & Youth All-State sites across New Mexico on the same weekend, January 27-29, 2022. This is to accommodate the number of students participating. We cannot fit 200+ students on a stage and still adhere to state social distancing mandates. The executive board was taking into consideration the travel restrictions being placed on our teachers from their district officials. As soon as these venues and conductors have been contracted you will be notified.
Another structural change is the make-up of the mixed choir. We will be changing the repertoire to primarily SAB music. This repertoire will be available on November 8, 2021, when singers and sponsoring directors will be notified of selected participants.
The executive board will be in close contact with the judges and review the number and quality of submissions before determining if a site will have all two or three choirs.
AUDITION PROCESS (SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS ARE BELOW)
ALL AUDITIONERS (4th-9th graders)
In ALL parts of the audition the judging panel is listening for:
- Healthy vocal production and tone quality
- Accurate singing – centering pitch, etc.
Part 1: Vocalization and range demonstration performed a cappella.
Play ONLY the beginning pitch of each scale pattern on the recording.
Ascending pitches (major scale do – sol) on solfege or “ah”
Descending pitches (major scale sol – do) on solfege or “ah”
PLEASE USE THE RANGES BELOW FOR THE VOICE PART SELECTED FOR THE AUDITION
Sop 1: Ascending D-A (fourth line to leger line above staff) Descending: F-Bb (bottom space to 1 leger below)
Sop 2: Ascending C-G (third space to above staff) Descending: E-A (bottom line to 2 legers below)
Alto: Ascending: G-D (second line to fourth line) Descending: D-G (below staff)
Tenor/Bass: Ascending Ab-Eb (fifth line to 2 legers above) Descending: F-Bb (fourth line to second line)
PART 2: America (My Country ‘Tis of Thee) performed a cappella. Recommended tempo 80-85
Include the following starting pitch for each voice part on the recording.
Sop 1: Bb above middle C Alto: E above middle C
Sop 2: Ab above middle C Tenor/Bass: F above middle C
ONLINE SUBMISSION DEADLINE, OCTOBER 15, 2021
All-State Submission Instructions
- Audition Recording Requirements
- Each student must be a separate track (Please do not record multiple students on one track.)
- Both the singing of the scale and “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” auditions MUST be on one track
- Elementary & Youth (4th-9th graders)
- NO INTRODUCTIONS (do not say the student’s name, school or grade level)
- Student says voice part prior to singing audition materials
- Student sings ascending and descending pentascale acapella in the assigned key (see “Audition Process” instructions)
- Student sings “My Country ‘Tis of Thee” acapella in the assigned key (see “Audition Process” instructions)
- Audition Recording Requirements
- Please do not sing along with your student. This will result in disqualification of the student’s submission.
- No editing or recording enhancements (i.e., reverb, ambience, echo or noise gate) Cutting the beginning and/or the end of the track is acceptable.
- Save student recording to your computer as their full name. (i.e., Paul_Halstead)
- Upload student recording to a web-based platform to create a downloadable link (i.e., Dropbox, Google Folder, etc.)
- Once all of your student recordings are converted to downloadable links (Elementary and Youth), download the Submission Spreadsheet Template from the NMACDA website
- Input information into the appropriate cells of the spreadsheet, including the recording link
- Save the Submission Spreadsheet to your computer
- Complete Online Director’s Registration (found on the home page beginning October 1)
- The director’s registration Google Form can be found on the homepage of www.nmacda.com beginning October 1.
- Each director may submit multiple schools and/or students on one registration form.
- Only one submission per director will be accepted.
- Director Registration Form Instructions
- ACDA Membership #
- School Full Address
- Email address
- Work Phone
- Cell Phone
- Student Name
- Student School
- Student Grade
- Student Voice Part
- Spreadsheet Submission of recording links
- Save completion screen to computer for future reference
- Upon successful submission completion, the registered director will receive a confirmation email to the email provided. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours, please contact email@example.com and attach a screenshot and/or PDF of your saved completion screen.